'Collaboration'

After reading Adesola's blog post on collaboration, it inspired me to write about my own experiences within my practice. In the post, Adesola linked a video to Dr. Shelle VanEtten de Sanchez, a poet talking about her experience in collaboration. She mentioned a metaphor which allowed me to relate and understand the importance of co-operation and what you can gain from it.

"What each of us can accomplish on our own will fit in the palm of our hand, but that is insignificant compared to what we can accomplish together" (Dr. Shelle VanEtten de Sanchez on 'The Power of Collaboration')

This metaphor suggests that we are the biggest threat to our own work. Our 'ego' can cause self-sabotage and may distort our judgment to what our work could be.

My literal experience of collaboration within my practice would be choreography. I can completely relate to this metaphor as there have been many times where I have created some movement in dance and have not allowed anyone to alter it in any way. It wasn't until I was shown by my colleague what their interpretation of it was, which was when I realised how far it could grow if I just allowed my mind to be more open.

I do also believe that 'collaboration' doesn't have to be so literal. It could be in the form of support or awareness. Collaboration, in my opinion, is a way to be open to ideas and a skill very similar to listening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Knowing

Interviews

After our career